February 8, 2023 - 11:30 am
February 8, 2023 - 12:30 pm
AddressOnline View map
Multiple avian influenza outbreaks caused by Influenza A/H5 have been detected in countries of the Andean Region and North America, since the beginning of 2022. In addition, one case in human was detected in Ecuador in early January of 2023. Considering this emergence of Influenza A/H5 infection it is important to discuss the response to this event and the laboratory tests that are used to detect influenza A/H5 in human samples and the testing algorithm recommendations.
This webinar is primarily directed to professionals of the Influenza National Reference Laboratories of the Region of the Americas and epidemiological professionals. Professionals of PAHO Country Offices are also welcome to attend.
The main goals are:
- Discuss the influenza diagnosis and testing algorithms
- Review the reagents for non-seasonal influenza diagnosis available at IRR
- How and when shipping samples to WHO-CC/US-CDC
- 11:30-11:35 am – Welcome and objectives by Dr. Juliana Leite, PAHO
- 11:35–11:45 am – Opening remarks by Dr. Angel Rodriguez and Dr. Jairo Mendez PAHO
- 11:45-11:50 am – Laboratory testing algorithms and recommendations to strengthen intersectoral Work for Surveillance, Early Detection, and Investigation by Dr. Priscila Born, PAHO
- 11:50-12:00 am – IRR – reagents for influenza A/H5 Shipping samples to a WHO-CC/US-CDC by Dr. Juliana Leite, PAHO
- 12:00-12:30 pm – Discussion with all the participants